Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bon Iver covers Bonnie Raitt

I credit my mother for my eclectic taste in music. She raised me on soul, oldies, folk, rock n roll, jazz, blues, and the always 80s mother favorite, Raffe. Her favorites included The Beatles, Roberta Flack, Bonnie Raitt, Elton John, Rolling Stones, Carole King, The Pointer Sisters, and Whitney Houston.

Finding this cover of Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bon Iver was unexpected and perfectly timed. So far I am three for three.

He does a beautiful job of capturing the elegant melancholy of the lyrics:
Cause I can't make you love me if you don't
You can't make your heart feel something it won't
Here in the dark, in these final hours
I will lay down my heart and I'll feel the power
But you won't, no you won't
Cause I can't make you love me if you don't.


No comments: