Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Forks Over Knives

I try not to get on a high horse when it comes to food and nutrition. I was a vegetarian until I was 13 and then due to family changes added meat into my diet. Having a very noticeable dairy allergy from a young age, milk products have never been a large part of my life. Health through food has always been a forefront topic in my family and I feel almost over-educated in terms of 'alternative health'. My diet when I am home is very simple and since I am not into cooking elaborate dishes you can usually identify/see each ingredient (which makes me very hesitant to cook for or host people).

Recently I stopped eating as much meat just to save some money at the grocery store. I also am feeling the effects of getting older and want to make sure my diet is taking care of my changing hormones, bones, joints, and skin. My mom is a wealth of information on the topic so I have been adding more variety in terms of veggies to help out with my calcium in particular. I know how to shop sales and prepare meals that reach far past the typical salad. (Don't get me started on my new obsession with kale - gasp!) However, on my recent trip to New Orleans I found myself comfortably fitting into the vegan diet of my host and feeling quite marvelous. It wasn't difficult since I had already cut out everything except fish and eggs, and I don't eat dairy anyway.

Since being home I haven't stuck to it 100% and I can tell a difference in my energy levels and general health. I stumbled across this documentary on Hulu last night which I would encourage everyone to watch. It is a little over an hr long but it is so worth your time. Backed by scientific research and multiple M.D.'s it is shown that the average American diet is the CAUSE of major diseases. Now this is absolutely not new information to me at all. My mind is not blown by what they are saying -- the lies that are told to us in terms of the USDA, the food pyramid, dairy, meat, etc. -- it is simply wonderful to see them presented in such a clear, scientific manner.

There are a lot of sites reviewing and challenging the film - which is fine. Do your research and come to your own conclusions. I really just wanted to share and bookmark a film that has made a huge impact on a current and very personal life decision.

"Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food" ~Hippocrates (because I would rather spend a little more on my food now than thousands on health care later)






No comments: